November 22, 2011

problem solved

I don't read parenting books.  They cause me to lose sleep.  Lists of ways I am failing miserably?  No thank you.

Our parenting style is two-fold.  1.) Fly By The Seat of Our Pants 2.) Do Whatever Allison Hilliard Tells Us To Do.

It's worked pretty well so far.  We've got some wonderful kids, if I do say so myself.

But getting back to not reading parenting books, there are times when I wish I did.  For example, our new daughter has been nervous at the dinner table since day-one.  We're not sure why.  Its as if the whole experience terrifies her (she'd make a poor first-impression on a date).  Lately she has taken to rubbing her hands through her hair in a frantic way - hands which are, of course, covered in peanut butter or pizza sauce or what-have-you.  By the time she gets down from the table, Jubilee resembles a model in a swanky hairstyle magazine.
Seeing her doing this was driving me BATTY.  I tried disciplining her for it, but it was for naught.  She wasn't defying me; she wasn't even aware of what she was doing.  We were getting nowhere, and both of us were a wreck by the time Daniel had poured himself his second glass of sweet tea.

So what a does a mom who doesn't read parenting books do in situations like this?  She steps into the other room to think, think, think.  Aha!  I'll tie a bandana around her head for mealtimes.  And that is exactly what I did.

Jubilee wasn't too sure what to make of it at first.
But within minutes we were all smiles, and mealtimes looked hopeful once again.
We were having such a good time, in fact, that Mr. Dimple wanted in on the fun.

Jubilee left the rag on her head for the entire meal, and even cried a little when I took it off and hung it on the back of her chair.

Problem.

Solved.