September 03, 2012

Javanese Mountain Dinner

Sue-Sue, my grandmother-in-law, left behind many things.  Shoes, for starters, and bedspreads, and coffee makers.  A red painted toilet seat, hundreds of Bib1es (hardly an exaggeration), wonderfully telling journal entries, centuries of antique furniture, the list goes on and on.

She also left behind recipes.  Thousands of them.

Not the least of which being her recipe for "Javanese Mountain Dinner."  On the evening of our (quite possibly) last meal as an extended family at Sue-Sue's farm house this summer, we prepared Javanese Mountain Dinner in Sue-Sue's memory.  It was just as warm and cold and soft and crunchy and sweet and salty and odd and lovely as ever.  Just like Sue-Sue, come to think of it.

Have a peak at a copy that Sue-Sue typed with a typewriter many decades ago and colored herself.  We took one to keep on our refrigerator in East Asia.
And here is my awesome sister-in-law with her mountain dinner in hand.
It really is good to eat, though my hunch is you'll take my word for it.  I don't blame you.  Sue-Sue, and those like her, and the era in which she lived (and cooked) have passed on.

But as for me and my house, we will eat Javanese Mountain Dinner, every now and then.