April 23, 2011

Tonally going for it!

The view from our favorite McDonald's.
Too long have I been mute.  Too long have I stood beside my husband, smiling like an idiot, while he communicates for me.

Announcing:  Kayla has started seeing a language tutor (again)!  This is my 3rd or 4th attempt, I've lost count, but this time I am determined to stick it out.  You might wonder why I haven't just "absorbed" the language after three years of hearing it all around me.  I don't blame you for wondering.  You don't know any better.  You've (probably) never tried to learn a tonal language.

Tonal?  Let me explain.

Lets suppose you learn a new vocab word in Spanish, like "hola."  Great!  Now you know how to say "hello," right?  In Spanish, yes.  In Spanish, that's how it works.  In this language, you learn a new vocab word like "tang" and it means four different things depending on how you say it.  If you say it like you are hitting a soprano note, it means "soup."  If you say it like you are asking a question, it means "sugar."  If you say it like you are barking an order at someone, it means "hot."  If you say it like you are scooping something up with your voice, it means "swimming pond."

This aint no fiesta, people.  Pray for me.