April 13, 2011

crown down

Xiao Fu made this crown of leaves for Brave the other day, from the materials that a shrub provided. Growing up in a village yields many interesting talents, apparently!

As you know, I have been feeling caged-in lately (see blog post in which I refer to male genitalia).  Early this morning, I was reading this from the gospel of John, "I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture" (v9). What hope flooded my soul then. I have a gate! I am not in a prison of motherhood, waiting it out until "freedom" returns to my lifestyle. I am free to come in and go out, through my savior, my shepherd, and in him I find pasture.

Pasture.

*sigh*

Then I re-read this, also from the gospel of John, "[He] knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from G0D and was returning to G0D; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist" (v3).

Because J-sus knew who he was, he could humble himself before the ones he loved and (in this case) wash their feet.  So it is with me, perhaps.  Because I know who I am (a sheep with a gate and a pasture, not to mention a shepherd who cares for me), I can humble myself day in and day out and day in and day out and day in and day out, for the next 17 years, serving these little goobers of mine.

Somebody, hand me a towel.  It's time to act like CHR1ST.