May 29, 2010

Things I've been missing

Today was the kind of day that I dream about from East Asia.

The highlights of the day?  Ahhh...where do I begin?

1. Tortilla chips with Rotel-Velveeta dip.
2. Catching fireflies in a backyard with my kids, and plunking them into jars with lids.
3. Thick, clean, green grass between my toes.
4. The sound of tree frogs.
5. Cold cans of Diet Dr. Pepper in the fridge.
6. Birthday cake from a pink bakery in Cedarville called Sweet Boutique.
7. Towns with names like Cedarville.
8. Blue Bell vanilla ice cream.
9. Shopping all afternoon with Bright in stores with names like "The Calico Goose."
10. Purchasing a $12 bar of handmade herb-and-aloe soap from "The Soap Factory" downtown, simply because I wanted to give them my business.

I love my life in East Asia.  I miss my friends there, and my little green kitchen, and our neighbors, and the millions of people in our city who have never heard the good news of great joy that is for all people. 

But...

I am having one heck of a time here in the U.S. of A.