November 08, 2012

six one way, half dozen the other

The election is over.  We have a president for four more years.  Here's what I think about it.

Everybody does something better than somebody else.  For example, I bet you can't do a split leap as well as my husband.  That is a real photo, by the way.  He really can do that.

I bet your scalloped potatoes aren't as good as mine.  If you don't believe me, try them.  If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words. (No lactose-intolerant challengers, please).

SCALLOPED POTATOES
5 large baking potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
1 quart whipping cream
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pepper

Layer potato slices in a buttered 9x13 baking dish. Stir together cream and remaining ingredients (it will seem like a lot of salt and pepper, but trust it); pour over potatoes evenly. Bake at 400° for 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender, mixture has thickened, and there is a deep brown color all over the top.

In the wake of the election, you may or may not be thinking that America does government better than everybody else.  I tend to think we do, after seeing the way a few other governments do things.  But just because we do government better than others, doesn't mean we are outright better.  We are way behind the Chinese, for example, when it comes to healthy living, using public transportation, delicious street food, and shameless karaoke.  They do a better job at honoring their elders, using discretion, and memorizing information.  Where we only have to memorize 26 letters, they memorize (and flawlessly reproduce) thousands of intricate characters.

They also know better how to share (communism has produced some good qualities), and how to build relationships.  Americans are notoriously individualistic.

Back to the presidential race.  This is the second such election that I have witnessed from afar, and I have to say, I am beginning to enjoy the view from here.  The truth is, both candidates this year would have made good presidents.  In fact, Barack Obama, Mitt Romney, or your dad's buddy Jim would be far better leaders than many leaders in the world today.  As Bright put it so well, "I'm cheering for both candidates.  To make it as far as they have, they must be pretty good guys."