March 14, 2011

something new every day

"He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth..." (John 7:18)

I wondered, a month-and-a-half ago when I started reading the New Testament in 30 days repeatedly for the year 2011, if I would tire of re-reading the same material.

Ha.

This morning, the above verse grabbed me gently and I pondered it while looking out at the rising sun.  Something dawned on me then (no pun intended) because of it.  Let me first share with the world my greatest fear.  It is not that one or more of my children would die a young or painful death, though that is certainly my second worst fear.  It is that one or more of my children would grow up and deem the gospel rubbish.

This verse brought me great comfort/conviction this morning.  I realized that IF I am speaking words to my kids about the gospel that I mustered up myself, I will gain honor for myself.  I will be told what a good mom I was and what a good job I did.  Really great adult kids and a few invitations to speak at the occasional womens conference will be my reward.

BUT, if I spend these years working (mothering them) for the honor of G0D, I will end up speaking truth, and truth has been promised to set them free.  In terms of rewards, well, they will be handed to me by G0D himself when I enter into his kingdom.

You learn something new every day.
The boys eating ice cream with their buddy, Nate.