January 17, 2014

The closest I come to advocating

I contribute to a blog that advocates, and supports the families of, Chinese special needs adoptions. 

It's a great spot.  Many people find information and comfort there, in a world where adoption is becoming more and more common (praise G0D). 

But thinking of something to write every month can get difficult, especially when Jubilee's adoption happened 2 1/2 years ago, and most things to be said about it have already been said.

So yesterday, when I sat down at my dinosaur of a laptop, which is plugged in to an outlet on the plank-wall of this Thai bungalow, I thought and thought about something to write.

She's beautiful, but I don't want to brag; and besides, her looks are obvious.  She's good-spirited and bright, but there I go bragging again.  What about adopting a toddler with a special need from another country? Well, it's no walk in the park, but most people already know that.
 
Eventually I thought of something to say that I hadn't already said, but I'll tell you, my pool of ideas is drying up.  The truth is, adoption is just so...simple.  A child is a child is a child.  They laugh when they're tickled, they test the boundaries, they ache for love, they don't like crunchy vegetables in their pasta sauce, and they will call you Mommy if you show them you're not going anywhere.

Should you adopt?  Probably, but not because I said so.  Who am I to tell you what to do?  I'm just a girl with four kids, one of whom happens to be adopted.