November 17, 2013

five seasons

In our family, there are five seasons: spring, summer, fall, winter...and eggnog.

Right now is eggnog season.  It begins on Daniel's birthday, which is October 18, and ends on Easter Sunday.  Hey, I tried to make it shorter, but I had to fight to keep it that short.  If it were up to my man, he would have a hot cup of the stuff every evening of his life.

So here's the recipe, though I think I've posted it before.  And here is a picture of me in my bathrobe making this season's first batch.  Embarrassing, I know.  

EGGNOG
3 cups milk
1 cup cream
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
dash salt
2 tsp. vanilla
ground nutmeg

Whisk first 5 ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until a film of eggnog stays on the back of the wooden spoon (any more and it will curdle). Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.  Pour into four large mugs or six regular size mugs.  Sprinkle with nutmeg.  Serve.