July 31, 2011

I'll take the furnace

Sometimes I complain, drag my feet, daydream, or spend too much time online.  All of these things happen when I am focusing on the furnace, and not the guy walking around inside it by my side.

If you are not familiar with the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (or as the African American p_reacher friend of our friend Rogers says, "Shadrach, Meshach, and A Bad Negro"), then I will tell you that once upon a time, three guys, who would not bow down to any god other the one true G0D, were ordered by the king to be tossed into a really hot furnace, to meet their scorching deaths.

Yesterday I went to fellowship and heard my husband's teaching on this passage, and I was brought to tears, right there on the 5th row.  Daniel said, "Nobody likes to be walking around in the furnace, unless the son of G0D is walking around in there too.  If G0D is there, that is where I want to be."

The rest of the story is, those three guys did not burn up.  Not even a hair was singed.  While they walked around in the furnace, unharmed, a fourth man was seen walking with them, and he resembled a son of the gods, according to the king.

And you know what?  I'm not going to burn up either.  For many reasons, I am supposed to be right here, in this exhausting life, and because G0D is here with me, there really is nowhere I'd rather be.