February 26, 2014

Introducing Gene

On February 25, 2014 (that would be yesterday) Bright Eugene Rupp, the one who made me a mother, who has always gone by "Bright," decided he wanted to go by Eugene, "Gene" for short, just like his WWII pilot great-grandfather, Gene Haggard.

This was no whim. Our son had been thinking this over in his big, bright brain of his for weeks. He just doesn't feel like a "Bright." And honestly, though he is smart, and has bright brown eyes, and lights up our lives, he is the furthest thing from eccentric, which is what his name is. He doesn't like my nose ring, doesn't want me to get a tattoo, etc. In fact, he might just be one of the most sensible people I know, so a sensible name like "Gene" fits him perfectly.

Today is his second day as "Gene," and he is dead set on it. He beams every time he hears his new name, though I find myself calling him "Eugene" more often than not. His siblings are making the switch alright, and Daniel is totally on board, though he is out of town this week and missing all the fun.

The Bright Era was a good era - no, a spectacular era - but now I am pleased to introduce you to our very self-aware, very driven, and sensible son, Eugene.

p.s. You might be wondering how I feel about this. Well, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that's sad. Of course. I called my firstborn son by one name for almost 9 years, and now I am calling him by another name. But it's the name he chose, and that makes it precious to me. Also I heard somewhere that parents should say "yes" to as many things as they possibly can, because they'll have to say "no" to so much.