July 29, 2013

born on Facebook

Henry Elvin Augustus, born peacefully into the water on Friday, July 26, 2013, at 1:34 a.m., in Marshall, TX; 8 pounds, 12 ounces.  Parents Korrie and Lee of Shreveport, LA; brothers Zeke and Luke; sisters Jesse, Clementine, and Rosemary.  Everyone is happy and healthy.
This lady was BORN to have babies.  Seriously.  She makes it look like ballet.
I love my friend, Korrie, and her water births and her beautiful face.  And I love my friend, Candace, who attended this birth to support and photograph Korrie and Henry.  And I love my friend, Lydia, who was in Kansas City during this birth, getting some much-needed sleep after her ordeal with her daughter, Bethany.

And I just LOVE the fact that because of Facebook - and the fact that I live on the other side of the world, which meant that Henry was born in the middle of my afternoon - I was able to "witness" Henry's birth in a Facebook thread.  I got messages like, "5 cm and 80% effaced.  Korrie is very calm.  In the tub."  And then, "Contracting, contracting..."  And then, "He's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  Pictures popped up instantly, and I really felt like I was part of it!  And Lydia, when she woke up in the morning, jumped right in on the Facebook thread, catching up on what she had missed during the night.

Perhaps Facebook isn't all that bad, after all;)