September 29, 2010

Shelves that will never be bare

      I woke up with anxiety because I had eaten the entire dish of Indian yogurt last night and that stuff is richer than the guys who startled Google.  The worry train took off down the track at that point, and I wasn't even out of bed!  Why can we not find the other two hammers from the boys' tool set?  We need three hammers because we have three boys!  They can't have walked off on their own. Oh my, what will the pumpkin shortage mean for us?  If America is short on canned pumpkin, you know they won't be sending their excess to Asia for us to buy in our import stores at outrageous prices.  What will Thanksgiving be this year without family OR pumpkin pie?!  Oh darn, I forgot to thank Danielle yesterday for her quick response to my email.  I must get online right now and thank her, even before I go to the window seat to read the holy book.  Uh-oh, now I am feeling guilty because I gave the first fruits of my day to Danielle!  Oh, my depravity!  Chug, chug goes the guilt train now, puffing down its well-worn track.
       I am a complete mess by the time I plant myself in the window seat.  I look out over the rainy city, and I feel absolutely awful as I open John 4.  I read, and read, blah blah blah blah, down the page.  Then comes verse 10.  There is ALWAYS a verse 10, isn't there?  That one verse that won't let you keep wallowing in the comfortable excuse of your sin.
      Chr!st said to the Samaritan woman at the well, "If you knew the gift of G0D and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."  That daft Samaritan had the savior of the world right in front of her face and she was worried about their cultural differences.  I sat on that window seat with the savior of the world right in front of my face and I was worried about toy hammers and calories and email etiquette and pumpkin pie!  He said "If you knew the gift" that sits before you now, you would not need to drink the things of this world, but you would ask for a drink from me and I would give you living water.
      So, I repented for being an idiot and tearfully asked the L0RD for a drink. Like the Samaritan, who left her jar behind when she ran into the world because now she herself was the jar, I traded my cans of Libby's for that of which there can never be a shortage.
      I am still shallow enough, however, to request a pumpkin pie recipe that uses actual pumpkin.  Any leads?
      p.s.  The pic is from last year.  I couldn't resist.