May 30, 2008

Un-ordinary day

Today was not an ordinary day. For starters, I gave Zion his first haircut. His stringy, sweaty mullet had to go. Since I am the family hair dresser, I got to do the honors in the front yard. The term "hair dresser" is very funny to me. It conjures up thoughts of someone trying to put a pair of pants on someone else's head. The term used here in Van Buren is equally comical. Here they call them "beauty operators."

Also today, Zion started drinking water from a sippy cup, all by himself. This was his first time to drink from anything but my breast. Quite a jump, but he made it. What a big dude! The water, paired with how much he still nurses, made for one heavy diaper when I undressed him for his bath. But it will make things a lot easier when I wean him later this year.

Also today, we all have pink-eye. Lovely. If you've never had pink-eye with little children, it is a NIGHTMARE. Their eyes itch so they scratch them, then wipe their hands on everything in the house, thus passing it back and forth to each other. Not to mention having to pin them down and pry their eyes open three times a day to administer eye drops. And then there's all the extra laundry, as it is necessary to change their bed clothes after each nap and night sleep. NOT fun. Not fun at all.


Then at the end of this un-ordinary day, a white van pulled into our parking lot and a woman stepped out with flowers, for me! The card read, "Just because I miss you. Love, Mom." Thanks mom.