January 01, 2008

Finding Closure

New Year's Eve was bittersweet. Sweet because we spent it with awesome friends, Matt and Darci Long, who live on the other side of our wall. Sweet because we watched "High School Musical" and made ourselves sick on pizza-rolls and bon-bons. Sweet because we got into their kids' dress-up clothes and created rock-stars and rednecks and (in Daniel's case) Napoleon Dynamites out of ourselves.

And bitter because we will be on the other side of the world for New Years Eve next year. My friend, Laura, who now lives in India, advised me to, "Find closure in as many things as I can." And so last night, each time I applied a stick-on tattoo or poured another glass of sparkling pink Catawba grape juice, I noted that it would be my last for a while. And in doing so, I was able to embrace and release the moment at the same time. Happy New Year!