October 18, 2012

shengri kuaile

Daniel is 33 today!  (the same age that CHR1ST was when he was crucified for us, as Daniel pointed out in his Facebook status this morning)

Last night, some local brothers and sisters treated us to dinner at our favorite Indian restaurant.  One of them had baked a pineapple upside down cake.  We sang, "Shengri Kauile" (happy birthday).  After dinner the kids ran around in the alley in the dark, flanked by people who were slurping spicy noodles and smiling to see little blond kids dashing about.  We had a great time.

Tonight, we double-dated with John and Alisa to Mooney's Irish pub at the Shangri la hotel.  I went all-out and baked Michelle Paisley's Grandmother's famous chocolate sheet cake for the occasion.  Mmmmm.

At Mooney's, John ordered the 1-kilogram burger.  Oh.  My.  Word.  Alisa and I laughed so hard when they brought it out that I thought I was going to fall off my bar stool.  I was blushing, and I don't even know why.  People were gathering around us to snap pictures of this thing.  It was amazing.  It had an omelet on it, among other things.  Wow.  I still can't get over it.  (John ate 1/4 of it.)

After dinner, we went for a walk along the river and ate our chocolate cake with our fingers. 
John and Daniel were throwing bits of cake at the bats to throw off their sonar.  One bat got especially flustered and made a dash down toward my face.  I screamed.  I swear I saw the thing's teeth.  John and Daniel might act 15 when they're together, at best.  It wouldn't be a birthday without the Greenes.

Happy 33rd to my awesome, awesome husband!  I love you, Daniel Rupp.