March 10, 2008

Residual self image

I've had many faces over the years, but they've all had one thing in common - outside of the box.

In fifth grade, I wanted to be a cowgirl. I loved western clothes and idolized the already outdated Loretta Lynn. When the other girls were collecting Bryan Adams tapes, I was listening to Hank Williams Jr. on my pink cassette player in my back yard.

Then in high school, when other girls were wearing Abercrombie and Fitch, I was wearing flowing skirts and mismatched shirts. I would drive around in my worn out Ford Tempo and listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn. I've always had a thing for the electric guitar. Next to rain falling on a tent, it is my favorite sound.

For the past two years I've been a p-st-r's wife. For the first time in my life, I had to conform. Anything else may have made folks stumble, and Dad's fame is too important for that.

But now, alas, I am free to be me again. M's can be as weird as they want to be! So, when I picked out new glasses the other day, I chose a pair that sparkled. Daniel thinks they bring out the sparkle in my new nose ring. It sure is good so be back on the outside of the box.