September 15, 2007

Simplify me.


It's hard for me to believe that we are actually planning to move across the world. Are we really going to do that? Are we really going to sit on a crowded jumbo jet for 16 hours with two (hopefully quite drugged) children? Are we really going to have a big garage sale and watch some random lady walk off with the first couch we ever bought? I remember the day we brought it home from the furniture store, to our little apartment on Duncan Avenue in Fayetteville. It smelled like scotchguard and foam, and it was such a pretty color blue! It is now slightly faded where our butts have sat, ever so comfortably, while we played scrabble or watched good movies or argued...and then made up (with a hug, now, get your minds out of the gutter).

I remember as an eleven-year-old, I looked around my Junior High youth group and thought to myself, 'If every one of us grew up and went to a different country, the whole world would hear the news in our life times.' It seemed so simple to me then - just get up and go! I guess that is what He means when he tells us to be like the little children. I only wish I could sit down and talk with my eleven-year-old self again. Maybe she would help me remember why I'm about to sell my couch. Dad, make me like I used to be. Simplify me.