September 11, 2007

I love my man


So my husband, Daniel, can't cook. I like it that way. When you have a husband who can't cook, you have a built-in ego booster every evening at the dinner table. You are like a magician, and your audience watches in awe as you transform a green pepper, whole cream, and cajun seasoning into his favorite dish of all time (see recipe below). But then there are other nights, like a few days ago when I decided to make empenadas from scratch, (shown in the picture), another one of Daniel's favorites. The dough is very tricky to make and when Bright wanted to help measure and pour the flour, I couldn't tell him no. Needless to say, the empenadas were a disaster and after two hours of tears, sweat, egg whites, and ground pork flying all over the kitchen, I finally ended up with the finished product. I wanted to burn the recipe in the front yard, but decided not to. I'm glad I didn't do it. Some day, when the kids are grown, I'll make it again.

Daniel does the announcements at our local house. This Sunday he announced a potluck, and he suggested folks "cook a salad." After much giggling from the congregation, he said, "Do you cook a salad? No? What do you do with a salad...gather it from the bushes?" Laughter erupted from all over. My husband's domestic knowledge is not very deep, but he sure is fun to cook for.

Daniel's Favorite Cajun Chicken Pasta

1 box linguine
4 chicken breasts, cut up
4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
4 tablespoons butter
2 green bell peppers, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 package sliced fresh mushrooms
2 green onions, minced
3 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

- Cook linguine and drain
- Toss chicken with Cajun seasoning, and cook in butter on stove until done.
- Add peppers, mushrooms, and onions and cook until peppers are crisp-tender
- Add cream and next five ingredients and heat through
- Toss with linguine and Parmesan cheese