December 23, 2012

dough poetry

MY CRESCENT ROLLS
On their cookie sheet, behind a membrane of cellophane,
my crescent rolls incubate, curled into a fetal position.
The stressful Christmas season storms around them,
but they seem not to notice.
The yelling children, the crying mother, the tested husband,
all producing warmth in the air for the crescent rolls.
The little things suck the warmth in, then slowly exhale,
puffing out doughy chests.
I stop,
on my way to the sink to wash my measuring cups for the 13th time today,
and while Bing Crosby sings, "the weather outside is frightful,"
I take a good long look at my crescent rolls.  I find myself
breathing slowly, like they do.  I find myself wishing
I were one of them.  Like babies in a hurricane,
my crescent rolls sleep, proofing peacefully,
like they otherwise would,
like they were made to do,
regardless of circumstance.

P.S.  I have a new friend in my life.  Her name is Rachel.  She is a poet.  I haven't written poetry (not really, anyway) since college.  This new friendship is fun!
P.S.S.  Here is my crescent roll recipe:

ROLLS
1/2 cup warm water (110°F/45°C)
1/2 cup warm milk
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 3/4 cups flour
1 (.25 oz) pkg dry active yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp)
1/4 cup butter, softened


Place water, milk, egg, 1/3 cup softened butter, sugar, salt, flour, and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer (I add them in exactly that order). Select Dough Cycle and press start.
When cycle finishes, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 12" circle, spread 1/4 cup softened butter (divided) over each circle.
Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Roll wedges starting at wide end; roll gently but tightly. Place point side down on ungreased cookie sheet, curling into crescent. Cover with a clean kitchen towel or with loose cellophane and place in a warm place to rest for 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.