October 08, 2011

IVs in the trees

Yesterday I took out a recipe and chuckled when I saw, in orange ink, "East Asia Friendly" scrolled across the top.  When we first moved here (back when I thought this was just going to be a quick stay), I went through all of my standby recipes and tried them out.  The ones that worked (i.e. ingredients were available and high altitude didn't affect them) were marked with an orange marker.  The rest were stashed away in the back of my binder to be used for the rest of my life in America.  I am beginning to wonder if I will ever make, "Boursin-Stuffed Baked Chicken Breasts" again.

*sigh*

My point is that we have been here a long time, and are planning to keep staying, evidenced by the fact that we are talking about getting a cat (I know, I know, but we can't be taking a dog up and down the elevator all day long to pee).  We've been here so long that I forget to post cool East Asia posts because nothing much strikes me anymore.  You, however, might be struck by a few things now and then, so here you are. 

They really like their plant life.  We are not allowed to walk on the grass.  There are signs above the grass that read "The grass has life, please do not walk on it" (translation).  Many of these signs are in close proximity to a billboard advertising a great place to "take care of your problem of pregnancy" (abortion), but that is beside the point. 

In these pictures you can see how much they love their plants.  This tree, which does not look at all sick to me, is being nursed back to health, with an IV!!!  We see this ALL the time.