August 21, 2010

Thy Word

Bright has had a "quiet time" every day since he turned three.  For the last two years, he has listened to three tracks per day of the Adventures in Odyssey Eyewitness Set, which is a fictional audio drama that teaches the stories of The Word.

Now that he is five, he seems ready for The Word, itself.  Besides, Zion is ready now to start his "quiet times" and he will need the Odyssey set.  Before coming back to East Asia, I hit the "special" book store and picked up "The Word of Promise Next Generation New Testament Dramatic Audio Bib!e."  Today was the day I started it with Bright.  He is still in there listening to it.  He won't let me turn it off, and it's been almost an hour.  At first he didn't know what he was listening to, but when I went in to turn it off after three tracks, he stopped me and said, "Mom, no, I am listening to this.  It is telling me about being nice to other people"  (he was listening to The Sermon on the Mount).
"Bright," I said, "Do you know what you are listening to?"
"No," he said.
"You are listening to the real Bib1e."
His face lit up, and then sobered again with a sense of respect.
"May I listen to a little more?" he asked.
"Sure," I said.  After three more tracks, I went in again.  He pleaded with me, again, not to stop it.  "This is the parables Mom, please."