February 22, 2010

Ruined forever

In 1 1/2 months we will get on a plane bound for America. I don't know quite what to think about that. It has been so long that the potential is there for me to have a complete nervous breakdown.

I have heard it said to me that once a person "does something like this" they are ruined forever. Laura P., you would know, is that true? "Ruined" in this case is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it can be quite good. It simply means that I will never again be fully American, at least not the kind of American who has an American perspective, but at the same time I will never be fully any other kind of person, either. I will be like one who is always 1/2 inch off the ground, hovering, in a sense, between Earth and Heaven.

That doesn't sound too bad?

Talk to me in June. I might be a total wreck. On second thought, perhaps you shouldn't talk to me in June:)