January 28, 2009

Come on over

If you could have paid us a visit this afternoon, you would have enjoyed (or endured) Daniel's 80's mix on Pandora Radio, rocking out to "You Can't Hurry Love" and "Oh Sherrie." You could have helped me season my creamy dill dip for girls' night tonight. I could have used it. I couldn't seem to get it just right. You would have read Peter Rabbit to a chapped-faced one-year-old over and over so I could slip off and get some things done. You would have watched Daniel come and go on his electric bike, bringing home milk and apples and a new portable oven with a door that will hopefully stay shut. You would have seen a blue sky above the tall buildings outside of our bay window, the sun warming the vines and pavement by our gate. You could have snacked on a banana if you got hungry, our helped yourself to a glass of coke or clean water. Dinner would be leftover Swiss Cheese Chicken with peas. Nothing fancy, but sharing any meal with you would bring us great joy.

Living on the other side of the world has made us realize how much time we wasted, with just a mile or two separating us from our friends and family for the first two and a half decades of our lives. If I were you, I would go see the ones I love, today. Don't stay in your brick or vinyl-sided fortresses and miss out on each other. And you will - if you're not careful - miss out on each other.