October 03, 2009

The Ant Farm

I Facebook. I didn't start Facebooking (is that a word?) until I moved overseas. Therefore, I don't know what its like from your end of things. From my end of things, as I posted in my "status" today, Facebooking is like watching everyone I love in an ant farm, and I am not an ant.

My dearest friend from college, Liz, is pregnant for the first time. I am watching it unfold on Facebook. Others of her friends are posting things like, "I'll bring my maternity clothes over to you this weekend," or "Sorry I missed your call the other day." I, on the other hand, talked to her on the webcam this week and it was the first time I had seen her face in almost a year and half.

I am watching my best girl back in Arkansas, Darci, as she Facebooks about her new lifestyle and posts pictures of her new look. She did that PX90 thing and turned herself into a hot mama. She grew out her hair. She got a tan. She writes me about her career options and her dreams. She is fast outgrowing the picture I have in my mind of the Arkansas country girl raising her kids in her sweats. Maybe she hasn't changed that much, but it sure seems that way from over here.

That's the thing about Facebook, it "connects" people but not really. I know what my best friend during my freshman year of high school had for dinner last night, but I haven't talked to her in 10 years.

Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off emotionally if I wasn't in such impersonal contact with so many people. Maybe the counterfeit is not better than nothing. Maybe it is tricking my heart. I am left feeling something without the proper context in my daily life in which to store it. The Computer Age is definitely an interesting time to live out adulthood.

p.s. Here is a picture of Darci in all her new glory. You are beautiful, Darc!