October 12, 2017

There's no place like home (school)

Every year I tell myself, "Kayla, you don't have to do this anymore. Just finish this year out, and then we'll see."

But every year I do it again.

Are there days I wish we weren't a home school family? Heck. Yes. I get no break from my kids, nor they from me (poor dears). "Me" time? Forget about it. Peace and quiet? Never (my ears literally ring when I lay my head on the pillow at night.

The kids don't have access to amazing sports programs or music programs. The house is NEVER fully picked up (there are five of us inside this apartment all day, every day, year round).

The reasons to quit home schooling are many.

But the reasons to keep with it are more. The kids are home, with me, every day. Their childhoods are almost, but not quite, anxiety-free. Awkward stages slip by in the privacy of our family, un-teased and un-unnoticed. Difficulty learning this or that is given all the time it needs until, painlessly, it's gone.

If someone has a deep philosophical question at 9:30 p.m., we can spend two hours talking it through because the next morning we can all sleep in if we need to. We're hardly ever sick (that's a huge bonus). My kids are each others' best friends because they spend every day together.

And best of all, their teacher can give them big hugs and kisses on the tops of their heads without getting in trouble for it.

Home sweet home (school).

Desks. They help us take ourselves more seriously (it can't be all fun and games)

The writing co-op I host on my rooftop.
Chemistry co-op, Periodic Table cookies
Cool dudes make cookies. Gene on the left, his buddy Reister on the right.

The junior chemistry co-op. Brave on the left, his buddy Mason on the right.
Making Russian gingerbread during our Russia unit in history (Jubi and her classic Chinese squat)