June 23, 2012

glad to be here

Made my mom's chicken salad today, twice (over-salted the first batch and I can't serve trash) and hosted a luncheon to say "Thank you" to a few precious gals. Listened to evening songbirds from the porch swing while my mother-in-law walked up and down the dirt road in the Arkansas heat; while my husband worked on his sermon in the sitting room in his new T-shirt from Forever 21. It has the Ghost Busters symbol on it and he picked it out himself. That is one great store, America! I even conceded while there to embrace the styles that the young people are wearing these days. My favorite teenager, Libby, had me spending Christy W.'s money (which Christy handed me after church saying, "This is for YOU") on oversized sweaters, hot colors, butterfly tops, and jeans without, yes, WITHOUT boot cut legs. There comes a time when a girl must stop thinking that she is right while the rest of the world is wrong... So I will go make some popcorn on the stovetop, like my daddy always did, and MoMo will get a bowl for herself while I will eat the rest, and Daniel will keep preaching to the pillows in the sitting room. Now the nighttime tree bugs are screeching so loudly that I am glad that the airconditioning is on and the windows are tightly shut. I am glad that MoMo is still young enough to walk up and down the dirt road. Glad for friends who fund shopping trips. Glad that Daniel loves what he does. Glad for a sister-in-law who is facing her pain (after losing Glory) head on and heroically. Glad to be less than two weeks from seeing my mama and daddy. Glad for Ben And Jerry's Ice cream. Glad to be here.